In a statement issued by the European Union, it stated that the implementation of the agreement between the Ethiopian government and the TPLF will create the conditions for the resumption of relations between the Union and Ethiopia.
What did the union say?
- The union appreciated the changes that have been seen since the signing of the agreement. they also stated that the union is ready to support this.
- EU announced that the long-term implementation of the agreement will enable the resumption of strategic relations with Ethiopia.
Note: It is recalled that the European Union has delayed the budget support of about 110 million dollars following the war that started in northern Ethiopia.
- Implementation of ceasefire, unlimited provision of humanitarian aid and accountability for rights violations will gradually restore development and economic support to Ethiopia, EU said.
- Due to the high demand for aid in northern Ethiopia and other parts of the country, it is important to restore unlimited supply of humanitarian aid and basic services, EU added.
- Regarding Eritrea, they explained the importance of the Algiers Agreement reached between the governments of Ethiopia and Eritrea following the border war, as well as the peace agreement reached four years ago; EU demanded the immediate and complete withdrawal of the Eritrean army from Ethiopia.